Ace Your Job Application with a Video Cover Letter
As everyone knows, the job search process is not easy. The job market is highly competitive and it takes a lot to stand out from the competition. As such, you need to make your application unique and memorable in order to draw the attention of your recruiter or hiring manager. You need to include a video cover letter.
But what exactly is a video cover letter?
Video Cover Letter Definition
A video cover letter is, quite simply, a cover letter for a job application in video format. A cover letter should accompany your resume by detailing why you’re qualified for the position and how it fits in your career goals. It’s a good space for you to expand upon what is listed in your resume and make the best case for your application.
In a video cover letter, you relay this information through audio and video instead of text. A video cover letter is a recording of you speaking about the information you would otherwise have written out in a cover letter. Typically, you provide a link to your video cover letter in your email or application so that your recipient can view it online, side-by-side with your resume.
Check out this sample cover letter video to learn more:
Why Use a Video Cover Letter?
There are many good reasons to use a cover letter video. Video will make your application stand out from the rest of the pack and thus make it more memorable. Additionally, information relayed via video is more likely to be remembered than via text: according to Covideo, 95% of information is remembered in a video vs. just 10% in text. If your reviewer is digging through a lot of applications at once, sending in a video cover letter is the best way to ensure that they remember you.
Furthermore, video lets you introduce yourself in a way that’s more personable. With video, you can communicate with non-verbal cues like eye contact, facial expressions, and hand gestures. Your reviewer will be able to put a face to your name after viewing your video cover letter and will have a better understanding of what kind of person and employee you are.
Finally, a video cover letter makes it easier for your reviewer to digest the information you present and connect it with the rest of your application. Your reviewer can watch your video while perusing your resume and match up your qualifications to past experiences. They can easily take notes during your video that they can bring up during an interview. Video cover letters make the experience of sorting through job applications easier and more exciting.
Video Cover Letter Best Practices
To create an effective video cover letter, you need to follow best practices. Fortunately, here at Covideo we have a lot of experience creating videos for business. Here are some things to keep in mind while recording your video cover letter:
- Start by introducing yourself: State your name and what position you’re applying for so your reviewer instantly knows whose application they are watching.
- Use your recipient’s name: If you know who’s going to be reviewing your application, make sure to greet them by name in your video. If you don’t know their name, still say hi and mention the name of the company.
- Find the right lighting: Nothing is worse than recording a video and then discovering your face was washed out! Make sure that you’ve found the perfect lighting before beginning your video. If you don’t have professional lighting, don’t worry – you can place your back to the sun for some excellent natural lighting.
- Smile: Keep the same positive attitude in your video that you would in an interview. Remember: you’re not just emphasizing your skills, you’re demonstrating what kind of person you are.
- Make eye contact: Same as above, maintain eye contact like you would during an interview. This will make your video seem more like a personal conversation and impress your reviewer.
- Keep it 1-2 minutes in length: If you make your video too long, your reviewer may find their attention drifting. A cover letter video should highlight your top qualifications, not provide detailed commentary about your entire professional career. Don’t let it go longer than 1-2 minutes in length.
- Don’t worry about little mistakes: If you briefly misspeak or add in a few “ums”, you don’t have to re-record everything. Little mistakes will make you seem more human and personable.
- Conclude with gratitude: Sign off from your video by thanking them for the opportunity to apply for the position. You can also list your availability for an interview and any necessary contact information.
Try Covideo for Cover Letters Today
To create the best video cover letter, you need access to the best tools. Covideo is the #1 platform for video messaging and personalized communication. With Covideo, you can record video messages from anywhere with the mobile apps, Chrome extension, and email add-ons. To make your videos extra professional, you can use our new teleprompter feature to stay on script without looking away from your screen. You can also add a custom video background or blur your background to keep your reviewer’s focus on you.
Once you’re done recording, you can embed your video directly into an email or text message. Covideo also generates a video link that you can copy and paste into any platform to quickly share it. When your recipient clicks on your video embed or link, they are redirected to a video landing page that you can customize in terms of size, color, and logo. You can include clickable CTAs in your video that can direct your viewer to another page such as an online resume or a calendar for scheduling an interview.
Best of all, you use Covideo analytics to track when your video is viewed. Covideo also tracks how many times the video is used as well as which sections were viewed the most. This way, you can know what part of your cover letter your reviewer was most interested in and adjust future cover letters accordingly.
If you’re ready to start using the best video cover letter tool, you can start your 7-day free trial today or schedule a demo with one of our video experts.