Attract Web Followers With a Video Series
People like a good story, but what they really like are stories told as a series. There is a compelling quality to a narrative told in installments. The knowledge there’s more to be uncovered and the enjoyment of connecting with characters over an extended period of time draws us in. The phenomenal success of Harry Potter (books and movies), the Star Wars saga and all three Toy Story movies are prime examples of our love for series-based storytelling.
Businesses can capitalize on the popularity of the series format for many web video applications (How To, Event Coverage, Educational, Documentary, Coaching, Commercials, Reviews, etc.) When done correctly, a video series can increase clicks/views on a website and attract followers to your blog, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and other social media sites. Here are some things to keep in mind when developing a video series.
1) Establish a theme – Decide on the overall subject matter and determine the number of videos required to tell the full story.
2) Set a schedule and keep it – Choose the frequency of each video installment release. Post-release dates for all videos in the series and deliver on your promise. Viewer interest is quickly extinguished by delayed or forgotten releases.
3) Be consistent – Maintain a uniform feeling throughout the series both in content and presentation. Viewers will be confused by drastic changes in style from one video to the next.
4) Brand your videos – Include a short, branded introduction at the beginning of each video to reinforce who the information is coming from.
5) Keep it short and sweet – Tell exciting stories in a succinct manner and use cliffhangers or previews to entice viewers to come back for the next episode.
6) Include a call-to-action – Encourage viewers to sign up for email updates notifying them of upcoming video releases. Offer extra-feature downloads (behind the scenes, interviews, making of) in exchange for contact information.
7) Dedicate a page – Set up a page on your website or blog to feature your video series and provide short appealing descriptions of each video.
8) Publicize – Let your fans and followers know what’s coming. Tease them with highlights to build excitement and anticipation. Once released, encourage your followers to share the video series with their network.
Add a new twist to your standard video offerings. Create a video series and attract those important repeat visits and new followers!
Jamie Bidwell is a team member at www.covideo.com. Covideo provides video email software that helps companies build relationships quickly and reinforce their brands more effectively with easy-to-make video emails that truly communicate. firstname.lastname@example.org.